Alumnus (n.): Rooted in the greek word alere "to nourish".
Sustainable Development students and alumni are nourished with a solid foundation and applicable skills during their studies at Appalachian State. This nutrient cycle is continuously passed on when alumni engage in life-long learning by nourishing themselves and their communities through knowledge, service, activism, and continued education.
We are proud of our SD community. Click below to read about some of the reasons why:
- Alumni in Action: Read about past alumni and what they've been up to
- Overview of alumni accomplishments: Our alumni possess a wide array of skills and passions and have accomplished much.
Are you an SD Alum?
- Share your story: Short survey to let us know what you've been up to
- Give back to the SD Department: Donate to help the Department and future SD students
- Political Science Master's program, University of Wyoming
- Sustainable Engineering program, Villanova University
- Sustainable Tourism Masters of Science program, East Carolina University
- Environmental Management at the Nicholas School, Duke University
- Urban Design masters program, University of North Carolina Charlotte
- Environmental Sustainability and Green Technology Master's program, Keele University, England
- Food Studies M.A. program in the School of Sustainability and the Environment, Chatham University, PA
- Master's in Development Practice program, Emory University
- Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership, Appalachian State University
- College of Forestry's Peace Corps Master's International program, Oregon State University
- Community and Regional Planning Master's program, Temple University
- Community and Regional Planning Master's program, University of Oregon
Interesting positions and projects
- Cooperative food trucks research, Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive (CoFed), San Fransisco, CA
- Island Fellow, The Island Institute, Maine
- Facilitation of a community partnership between UNC Asheville and a local alternative middle and high school, AmeriCorps
- Social Enterprise Support intern, Heifer International, Boone, NC
- Bio-diesel technician, Patriot BioDiesel, Greensboro, NC
- Executive Director, Valle Crucis Community Park, Valle Crucis, NC
- East coast sustainable farms bike tour, Bike Steady Farm Tour, Main to New Orleans
- Sled dog caretaker in Denali National Park, Student Conservation Association, AK
- Production manager, New River Organic Growers, Boone, NC
- Owner/operator, Mountain Herb & Flower, Tortola, British Virgin Islands
- Farmer Programs Coordinator, Organic Growers School, Asheville, NC
- Land Access Coordinator, WNC FarmLink, Asheville, NC
- Gardening Coordinator, Friendship Gardens, Charlotte, NC
- Senior IT Project Manager for Hennepin County, New Hope, MN
- Marketing & Development Coordinator, Green Opportunities, Asheville, NC
What Our Alumni Are Saying
My degree provided a strong foundation in comprehending sustainable, living systems that work with the natural rhythms of our environment. I learned practical skills in agricultural viability and lifestyle awareness, which have been expanded upon through life experience.