Alumnus (n.): Rooted in the greek word alere "to nourish".
Sustainable Development students and alumni are nourished with a solid foundation and applicable skills during their studies at Appalachian State. This nutrient cycle is continuously passed on when alumni engage in life-long learning by nourishing themselves and their communities through knowledge, service, activism, and continued education.
We are proud of our SD community.
Read about some of the reasons why:
- Alumni in Action: Read about past alumni and what they've been up to
- Overview of alumni accomplishments: Our alumni possess a wide array of skills and passions and have accomplished much.
Are you an SD Alum?
- Share your story: Short survey to let us know what you've been up to
- Give back to the SD Department: Donate to help the Department and future SD students
Alumni Accomplishments (just a sampling)
- Political Science Master's program, University of Wyoming
- Sustainable Engineering program, Villanova University
- Sustainable Tourism Masters of Science program, East Carolina University
- Environmental Management at the Nicholas School, Duke University
- Urban Design masters program, University of North Carolina Charlotte
- Environmental Sustainability and Green Technology Master's program, Keele University, England
- Food Studies M.A. program in the School of Sustainability and the Environment, Chatham University, PA
- Master's in Development Practice program, Emory University
- Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership, Appalachian State University
- College of Forestry's Peace Corps Master's International program, Oregon State University
- Community and Regional Planning Master's program, Temple University
- Community and Regional Planning Master's program, University of Oregon
Interesting positions and projects
- Cooperative food trucks research, Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive (CoFed), San Fransisco, CA
- Island Fellow, The Island Institute, Maine
- Facilitation of a community partnership between UNC Asheville and a local alternative middle and high school, AmeriCorps
- Social Enterprise Support intern, Heifer International, Boone, NC
- Bio-diesel technician, Patriot BioDiesel, Greensboro, NC
- Executive Director, Valle Crucis Community Park, Valle Crucis, NC
- East coast sustainable farms bike tour, Bike Steady Farm Tour, Main to New Orleans
- Sled dog caretaker in Denali National Park, Student Conservation Association, AK
- Production manager, New River Organic Growers, Boone, NC
- Owner/operator, Mountain Herb & Flower, Tortola, British Virgin Islands
- Farmer Programs Coordinator, Organic Growers School, Asheville, NC
- Land Access Coordinator, WNC FarmLink, Asheville, NC
- Gardening Coordinator, Friendship Gardens, Charlotte, NC
- Senior IT Project Manager for Hennepin County, New Hope, MN
- Marketing & Development Coordinator, Green Opportunities, Asheville, NC